Friday, April 19, 2013

Brigadier General Lewis Henry Little Diary




Diary carried by General Little when he was killed

       Yesterday was truly my lucky day. I was signing books at Collier Library on the campus of the University of North Alabama when a lady noticed I was a Civil War author. She announced to me that she had the diary Brigadier General Lewis Henry Little was carrying at the time of his death during the Battle of Iuka, Mississippi. I asked her was she selling them (assuming she was selling copies of the diary). She said, "No, its on loan to the museum in Iuka and I brought it with me." I asked if she meant the original and she said yes, come take a look at it. I couldn't believe my eyes. There on her table was the actual diary General Little was carrying when he was shot in the head in battle. 
       The lady was a volunteer with the Tishomingo County Historical & Genealogical Society in Iuka. I wish I could remember her name, but unfortunately, I'm horrible with names. She said the diary is on loan at the Old Courthouse Museum in Iuka and she brought it with her because she was selling copies of Fielding Lewis Tyler's book Service in Two Armies: The Diaries of Henry Little. The book is written by one of General Little's nephews and benefits go to the society. Even more surprising to me, she said here pick it up. I felt like Shelby Foote the day he was allowed to swing Bedford Forrest's sword over his head. It was a true honor to hold such a honored document. 
       I bought the book and have just begun reading it. I will post a book review when I finish, but I can already see that I'm going to enjoy it immensely. Not only is the book about the life and diary entries of Little, it also contains some previously unpublished photographs of the general. I will post them here.


Lewis Henry Little at about 23 years of age



Similar to other Little photo's


General Little in a military hat


General Little with what appears to be a painted on C.S. Uniform and signs of being retouched

No comments:

Post a Comment