Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Family History Letter 13 and 14

Alabama, Talladega County
May the 11, 1862

Dear child, I now embrace the opportunity to write you a few lines to let you know that we are all well as common at this time, hoping these few lines will come to hand and will find you and the children well. I haven't got anything very strange to write to you. We got a letter from Henry, that he wrote the same day that he got back to Shelby Springs and we heard that they were going to Chattanooga and we want you to write to us and let us know how you are getting along and how you make out and when you got a letter from Henry and how he is, where, and we want to know whether you are trying to make any corn this year or not. We got a letter from Jerry (my Great Great Great Grandfather) yesterday that was wrote the 6 of April and they were all well and the Susey had another boy. She had it the 10 of March he wrote that was working at $20 dollars a month and we want you to write how (unreadable word) is in that part of the country. It is the worst in this part of the country. We won't make more than half crops. Times is hard in this part of country and that seems like it will get worse. I can not tell what will become of us all and the old woman says that if she were where you were, that she would help you take care of the children. So no more at present, only we remain your father-in-law and mother-in-law till death. Pleasant and Martha Burnett to Catherine Burnett. Dear sister, I now take the opportunity of writing you a few lines to let you know that I am well at present, hoping these few lines will find you and the children well. I have nothing strange to write you at this present time, only (unreadable) and (unreadable) married last night the 15 of this instant, the (unreadable) Moses Truman. Write to us when you hear from Henry. I would be glad to be with him but it is not of my doing. To be with him (several unreadable words) your brother until death. William Burnett to Catherine Burnett. Dear sister, I take the opportunity to write you a few lines to let you that we are all well at this time hoping these few lines will find you and the children well. I ain't got anything strange to write to you. I want you to write to us when you get these few lines and let us know how you and the children is and when you heard from Henry, how he is, and where he is. So I will come to a close by saying, we remain your brother and sister until death. Joel J. Burnett and Frances Burnett to Catherine Burnett.

State of Alabama
January

(Most of this letter is unreadable, there are only parts I could make out) Dear...embrace the opportunity of writing...lines to let you know that...is common, hoping when...comes to hand they...all well and doing well...anything important...present times is hard..to hear from you. I ain't...from you since I left the...wanted to hear from you...life. I have wrote you to...and I ain't heard a word...yet I want you to write...I am afraid that you...small pack a money you...be as careful as you can...think there is any danger...and the children to...the...won't keep you...though the...says it...with the...that is knock...to me ever chance you get...right to you so nothing...only I remain your loving...until death. A.H. Burnett to wife and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment