Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Family History Letters 20 and 21

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
April the 16, 1863

Dear wife, it is once more with pleasure I seat myself to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am in common health at this time hoping when these few lines comes to hand they may find you all well. I ain't got anything strange to write to you at present. Times is hard here. We got plenty of meat and bread and not much stomach to eat it. I received your letter this morning which was wrote the fifth of this instant which stated that you were all well and it give me great satisfaction to hear from you and to hear that you were well. I had began to think that you had forgot me. It had been so long since I got any letter from you. You wrote that you was on a trade. I think it is bad to trade a horse that ain't worth more than 50 dollars, the way times is now. Though it might be a good trade if you could make corn to feed with next winter. It might do very well, it might be a good trade anyhow. You do as you think best for I don't know that I ever will be there to need anything that is there. Catherine, I ain't got time to write much. Know we have got to go on in sections now. I can get cloths here cheaper than you can make them. You write that you want me to send you made knives I about (unreadable). See me chances now they ain't no antler tines after (unreadable). You wanted me to write the (unreadable words) a letter, I ain't got time now (unreadable words) them I say I will write again in a few days. Write to me as quick as you can. A.H. Burnett to wife. Tell John Thomas and Martha be good for me and I want to see them and Sarah Almeada Frances (unreadable) bad.

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
May the 2, 1863

Dear wife, it is with pleasure I seat myself to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am in as good health as common, hoping when these few lines comes to hand, they may find you all well. I ain't got anything strange to write to you at present, only I was with a man that was taking the smallpox about ten days ago. I am afraid that I will have it. Me and him was detailed to cook for the sick. When they went on picket, me and him was cooking the (unreadable words) he was complaining for two or three days I was with him. Two days after he comes a broken out. I don't want you to grieve much, take it like I do. I take it all pain and easy. All that I can help studying about you and the children. I received two letters the 29 of April from you, that was dated the 10 and 18 which stated that you was all well and that gives me great satisfaction to hear from you and to hear that you and the next day I got a letter from father. The one that you sent to him to send to me, it stated that they was all well. You wrote that you wanted me to send my likeness to you. I will as quick as I can get it. You wrote that you wanted me to send you word how much money I drawed. I drawed 143 dollars, the first draw and 202 the next time. I have got 15 dollars, now I eat up 5 dollars a week, I give a dollar for a pound of peaches, and 2 for a dozen eggs, it looks like I can't keep money. You wanted to know what we had to eat. We have corn bread a plenty a half (lb) meat, enough. You wanted me to send you a pen, I ain't got none, worse more I can't get nary one. I will send you one and some paper as quick as I can get it. I will write you another letter in a few days more. So I must come to a close by saying. I remain your loving husband until death. A.H. Burnett to wife and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment