Monday, February 4, 2013

Family History Letter Number 3 and 4

State of Alabama, Talladega County
February 17, 1861


Dear children I now take the opportunity to write you a few lines to inform you that we are all well at this time hoping these few lines will find you all well. I haven't got anything strange to write to you at this time. We want to hear from you very bad. We have been looking for a letter from you now eight or ten weeks, and we have got tired going to the post office and getting nothing when we go and we want you to write as soon as you get this. For we haven't got any letter but that one Jerry (My Great-Great-Great Grandfather, Private, Company A, 13th Alabama Partisan Rangers) sent when he got there and I want you to write whether you ever wrote a letter since it. I wrote you one before and haven't got none from you and we have got wary. I want to inform you that times is hard. Corn is selling from one dollar and twenty-fives cents a bushel and bacon is 15 cents a pound and I inform you that I now live on the line of Talladega about ten miles from where I lived last year. I live in about one mile of Joel (Jerry's brother, Private, Company G, 31st Alabama Infantry) and I haven't heard anything of him Steears (not sure what this was supposed to be) yet and I haven't got much land to tend this year. William (Jerry's youngest brother, Private, Company C, 28th Alabama Infantry) I expect to hire the most of his time and when you write direct your letter to Selty Post Office, Randolph County. So I will inform you that Joel and Frances is well at this time and we want you not forget us so I will come to close by saying we remain your father and mother and brothers and sisters till death. Pleasant and Martha Burnett (My Great-Great-Great-Great Grandparents) to Jeremiah and A.H. Burnett (Alexander, Jerry's other brother, Private, Company F, 28th Alabama Infantry) and Catherine and Susa Burnett.

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
1862

Dear wife I once more embrace the opportunity of writing you a few lines to let you know that I am in common health hoping when these few lines comes to hand they may find you all well. I haven't got time to write now. I have drawed money I will send you one hundred and as do carry by Mister Coal to Thomas Brown. I will write you shortly. A.H. Burnett to wife and children, carry it to Thomas Brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment