Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Daniel Frost: The Confederate General Who Deserted

Daniel M. Frost - Wikipedia

Brigadier General Daniel Marsh Frost

       There were only a couple of the 426 commissioned Confederate generals who were ever accused of cowardice. Daniel Marsh Frost was not one of them, however he is remembered today as the only Confederate general who deserted his cause. General Frost was born in Duanesburg, New York in 1823. He graduated from West Point ranked 4th in the class of 1844. Dan Frost saw action in the Mexican War and was brevetted for gallantry at the Battle of Cerro Gordo. Following the Mexican War, he almost lost an eye in a skirmish with Native Americans in Texas. In 1853, Frost resigned from the U.S. Army and began a career in business that involved both lumber and fur trading. By 1854, he was elected a senator in the Missouri State Legislature. He left the Missouri legislature in 1858 but became a brigadier general in the Missouri State Militia. 
       When the Civil War began, Frost was a supporter of the Southern states and raised Missouri troops for the Confederate cause. He and his recruits were surrounded by Federal troops near St. Louis, his men were marched through the city streets as prisoners and a riot broke out. After being exchanged he was commissioned brigadier general in the Confederate Army on March 3, 1862. He served briefly as a staff officer on Confederate General Braxton Bragg's staff before being reassigned to the Trans-Mississippi Department to serve under Major General Thomas C. Hindman. There he led a division in the Battle of Prairie Grove. In the spring of 1863, Hindman was relieved of duty in Little Rock, Arkansas (mostly for ruling the region with an iron fist) and Frost took command. 
       About five months after he took command of Confederate forces in Arkansas, Federal officials removed his family from their home in St. Louis, Missouri and exported them to Canada. Frost very quickly made a decision to desert the Confederate Army and rejoin his family in Canada. He didn't ask for permission to leave and was listed as a deserter from the Confederate Army (the only Confederate general out of the 426 to ever do so). He wouldn't return to Missouri until late 1865. 
       He spent the remainder of his life attempting to convince pro-Union people that he had not done anything wrong when he joined Confederate forces and at the same time he attempted to convince Southern supporters that he never really deserted. He wrote many articles attempting to explain what happened to him, but when he finally wrote his memoirs, he hardly even mentioned the greatest conflict of the time. 
       He died in 1900 on the outskirts of St. Louis and rests in that city today in Calvary Cemetery. He was 77 years old. No matter how you spin the story, he will always remain one of the most controversial generals of the war. 


Brigadier General Daniel M. Frost in a post-war view

3 comments:

  1. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable information to work on. You have done a formidable job and our entire community will be grateful to you. spanish american war service files

    ReplyDelete
  2. naturally like your web-site but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth nevertheless I will surely come back again. war of 1812 service records

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was haven herpes 2 on my genital area . I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my genital area and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR. Oyagu website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when I switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, I search and I saw a great posts by Sarah devise Martha, Mignon Wright and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR. Oyagu so that was when I contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which I takes for some couples of days, and I take it as he says before I am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR. Oyagu for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com reach him via his website;https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome thank you'll

    ReplyDelete