Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Family History Letter 15 and 16

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
January the 25, 1863

Dear wife, I once more embrace the opportunity of writing you a few lines, let you know that I am in common health at this time, hoping when these few lines comes to hand that they may find you all well. I haven't heard a word from you since I left home. I ain't got anything strange to write to you at present only times is hard, how I ain't got time to write much now. I would be the gladdest you ever saw to see a letter from you. I have wrote you 4 letters since I left home and I ain't got any answer yet. Catherine write to me as quick as you can and write how you are getting a long about something to eat and I want you to write how much money Dave Rubards sent you and whether Brown has paid you or not. Write to me about you affairs. I want to know whether you have got any shoes or not. I ain't drawed any money yet. They are figuring for us to draw in a few days. I will send you some as quick as I can. I ain't got time this morning write much this time. I ain't heard a word from Michael since I have been here. Write to me as quick as you get these few lines. Tell John Thomas and Martha Elizabeth that I want to see them mighty bad and Sarah (unreadable) too. I must come to a close for this time. We have got the small pox in our regiment and Keeton has got them. Life is uncertain and death is sure. So is my love to you for ever more. A.H. to wife and children.

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
February the 18, 1863

Dear wife, I once more embrace the opportunity of writing you a few lines to let you know that I am well as common, hoping these few lines comes to hand they may find you all well. I ain't got anything strange to write to you. Times is hard here. I sent you one hundred and twenty-five dollars to Thomas Brown by Mr. Coal. I give him one dollar to take it to Mr. Brown. He left here this morning. He said he would rest a day or two when he gets home and then he would take it to Browns. I give him one dollar to take it there. Catherine I want to know if you have forgot me. I ain't seen the scratch of a pen from you since I left home. The old man Guntny said you hadn't heard from my when he was here. I have wrote you a bout 6 letters (unreadable) this I am a getting weary a waiting for a letter. I want you to write whether you have got any corn or not. If you ain't I want you to get a (two unreadable words) you as quick as you can, when you get your money and I want you to write how your cows is doing and whether you have got salt. To save your meat or not want you to kill them hogs if you can get salt. Was sick when Guntny was here or I would have sent you a letter by him a word or two. To the children, tell John Thomas and Martha Elizabeth, Pa wants to see them mighty bad. John Thomas I want you to take good care of Sarah for Pa until he comes home, if he ever comes home anymore. My pens bad, my ink is pale, my love to you will never fail. I wrote a letter to father since I (unreadable) here, I ain't got any answers. I will come to a close. My paper is bad and I don't know whether you can read it or not. A.H. Burnett to wife and children.


No comments:

Post a Comment