Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Family History Letters 18 and 19

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
March the 17, 1863

Dear wife, now I embrace the opportunity of writing you a few lines, to let you know that I am yet in the land of the living and as well as common. Only I have pain in my legs, I can't hardly walk and when these few lines comes to hand, they may find you all well. I ain't got anything strange to write to you at present. Times is hard here Catherine. I ain't heard a word from you since I have been here. Only the letter that you wrote in January, I am mighty uneasy. I sent you one hundred and 22 dollars to Mr. Thomas Brown by old Mr. Cole. I started it the 9 of February, I want you to write to me the condition you are in as soon as you get these few lines and how your wheat looks and whether you have got the stalks and (unreadable) out of it or not and you any corn yet or not and how your mother is and (unreadable) for corn. I want you spend your money for anything you need. I have spent 8 dollars since I sent that to you. It looks like I can't keep money here. (unreadable) peach tarts is 50 cents a piece, custards 200 dollars, eggs 30 dollars a dozen, chickens 250 cents, turkeys 8 and 10 dollars a piece, milk 100 dollars a canteen full, butter 300 dollars a pound. Catherine, I long to see the time come when I can come to the table with you and the children. Once more write to me how your old cow is doing. I will come to a close, my pen is bad, my ink is pale, my love for you, will never fail. A.H. Burnett to (the rest is unreadable).

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
April the 1, 1863

Dear wife it is once more with pleasure I seat myself to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am well as common, hoping when these few lines comes to hand they may find you all well. I ain't got anything strange to write to you at this time only times is hard here. It is cold here, it snowed here night before last and as to the war I can't tell you anything about it. They talk anything here that you would want to hear, but it is all talk. The war will never end. Tell all the women and children all (unreadable) to death. I want to hear from you mighty bad. I got them few lines that you sent by Johnson and the few lines you sent in Jo's letter. I got it last night and was glad to hear from you and to hear that you was all well and glad to hear that you had got some corn and potatoes. I wish I was there to help you plant them and make them. I am getting mighty tired of this place. I was sorry to hear that you had a sore foot. I am in hopes that you will get paid for you walk. I want you and the children to do the best you can. Tell John Thomas and Martha Elisabeth I want to see them and Sarah Almeada Frances mighty bad and tell them to take good care of her until I come home, if I ever do. I don't know that I ever will get to come home anymore or not. You never wrote who you got your corn from. I will come to a close by saying I remain your affectionate husband until death. My pen is bad, my ink is pale, my love for you, will never fail. A.H. Burnett to wife and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment