Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Family History Letters 9 and 10

State of Alabama, Walker County
This the 14th of April, 1862

Dear beloved husband, I once more embrace the opportunity of dropping you a few lines, to  let you know that we are all well at this time hoping when these few lines comes to hand they may find you in good health. I do hope that peace will be made and you will all get to come home to your wives and children without being in any battle. God grant it I pray. I want to see you very bad. I received this day your letter, which gave me great satisfaction to hear from you, but I was scared to hear that you was going to Corinth. Though I am in hopes that you will not be in any battle. I thought that I seen trouble enough before, but I feel now like trouble has just begun. I have no heart to try to do anything at all. I want you to write to me as often as you can. I don't care if it is every day, it will be some satisfaction to hear from you, but a great deal more to see you. Though I fear we will never meet on earth no more, though I still live in hopes that we will and if we don't let us try to meet in heaven when troubles will be no more. I want you, if you do take the measles to try to take care of yourself till you get out of all danger. It is a getting so dark, I can't see how to write. So I reckon I must come to a close, so nothing more at present, only remaining your loving wife until death. This from Catherine Burnett to A.H. Burnett.

State of Alabama, Walker County
This April 20, 1862

Dear husband, embrace the opportunity of dropping you a few lines one more time. Mr. Hampton brought back news that you and Josiah was gone on to Corinth and he knew nothing of Nicholas and Elijah. I want you to write me a letter and come and fetch it to me and write where they are and write whether any of you has got the measles or not and write how Elijah has got and whether he is with you or not. I want you to come home, their was 1000 Yankee's stayed all night at Mr. Whites and there was 6 Yankee's past through (unreadable word) around yesterday at bakers. Though I heard old John Burten dispute it today. He said they showed their papers to Swit. The times if they wanted if they to pass through. If it was Yankee's they was a looking about to see where they could make the best (several unreadable words) they horses. Took Huntsville and Decatur that is a show case it ain't (unreadable word) talk for it is so. I want you and Josiah if you are a needing any money to write to us and let us know and we will send you some at the first chance we get and also whether you can get paper there or not. If you can't we will try to send you some. The first chance now I want you to write me as soon as you get this letter and let me know whether I have wrote a lie or the truth about the Yankee's attacking Huntsville and Decatur or not. I think I was a writing the truth when I wrote it. I have counted it disputed a (unreadable word). I want you to write just as nigh (unreadable word) truth as you can. We have heard that the southern states was all quit fighting but 7 and now I want to know what is the use of them few a staying there and fighting against so many. So I close, I have wrote enough, so nothing more at present, only remaining your loving wife until death. This the Apr. 21. I can inform you that we are all well at this time, hoping when these few lines comes to hand they will find you enjoying good health. I can inform you that the Yankee's has been up here in the valley and they went to one man's house and broke up all their dishes and tore up a fine dress for his wife and tide the strips around their necks and took him off and they don't know what they done with him. They have never seen, nor heard of him since and I think it would suit you all best to come and guard your own homes. I know it would suit me the best now. I say come home. I want you to let Jo hear this letter or read it. So no more. When this you see, remember me. Though many miles apart, my pen is bad, my ink is pale, my love for you, shall never fail. This from Catherine Burnett to husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment