Thursday, February 14, 2013

Family History Letters 30 and 31


Flag of the 28th Alabama Infantry

State of Alabama, Camp near Chattanooga                                         Letter 30
August the 9, 1863

Dear companion, much pleasure that I seat myself this evening to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am as well as common hoping when these few lines comes to hand they may find you all well. I ain't got anything strange to write at present only times is hard here. They give us a half a pound of bacon a week and three pounds of beef. They are a building 5 or 6 forts here. They work about 8 thousand men here every day. Catherine, I can't tell how bad I want to hear from you. I ain't got nary a letter from you in nearly three weeks. Catherine, I have got a fine comb and a half a paper of pens and too papers and two finger rings that I made myself and some other tricks for the children and I have got you a half a square of paper if I could send it to you and thirty dollars in money and I wish you had it. I am looking for Mr. Hamilton every day and if he comes I will send you a little money and a half a square of paper. I would send it now, but Mr. Morrow don't want to risk it. I can eat my rations and a dollar and a half a day we get 5 ounces of meat a week. The boys is running away every night. Lieutenant Tucker * (see more below) see run away from Company E and took a private with him. So no more at present only I still remain you loving husband till death. This from A.H. Burnett to Catherine Burnett.

* William R. Tucker, 2nd Lieutenant, 42 years old at the time of this letter, he was court-martialed for advising and persuading a soldier to desert and was cashiered. He was dismissed from the service on August 25, 1863. 

State of Alabama, Camp near Chattanooga                                          Letter 31
August the 15, 1863

Dear companion it is with great pleasure that I seat myself this evening to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am well as common, hoping when these few lines comes to hand they may find you all well and doing well. I ain't got anything strange to write at present only Jo has reached the camp's safe today. I was glad to see him Catherine. I got the things you sent by Mr. Hamilton. I sent you some things by Mr. Morrow. Write what you get from me. Catherine I was glad to hear that you and to hear that you was all well. I couldn't hardly read the letter Jo had. Catherine I will send you twenty-five dollars by Mr. Hamilton and a pair of shoes and with a square of paper of needles. Catherine I weight 169 pounds by the scales we have here. I can't write to day for nothing. Catherine send me some sacks the first chance you have, I want you and your Ma there to not to study about me deserting if I have to leave here, I will tell them when I leave. I will come to a close by saying I remain your loving husband till death. This from A.H. Burnett to Catherine Burnett.


No comments:

Post a Comment